If you’re like us, there were races you’ve read about or your friends ran and you’re thinking, “I REALLY want to run that race next year!”. For the past few weeks, the Running Lushes have been in planning mode for our 2019 race year, and we want to share our secrets for planning a good race calendar. With family obligations, work, social activities, and SO MANY FUN RACES . . . How do we decide?
To have a great year of racing, we follow these three steps:
- Identify “Wish List” races: These are those bucket list races that you may have wanted to do for a while but haven’t been able to do. They may require a lottery, travel or other things that make them more complicated. We identify these first and let them serve as anchors for the rest of the race calendar.
- Layer in the “Classics”: These are races you love to do every year and are a part of your annual activities.
- Support Local Races!: We are lucky to be in the Bay Area which affords a plethora of races in all distances and terrain. We definitely view it as a priority to support local race organizations and view their success as vital to our local running community.
- Add Variety and Balance: Once we’ve identified our target Wish List races, accounted for the Classics and key local races, we need to see what’s missing? Do we need more variety in distances? Balance road and trail? Add relay or obstacles?
We have completed the majority of our planning for 2019 and here are the highlights from our Running Lushes calendar:
Wish List Races
- Big Sur Marathon and 11 miler (April)
- Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (November)
- Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon (July)
Running Lushes Classic Races
- Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon and Half Marathon (June)
- Presidio 10 mile (April)
- Santa Rosa Marathon and Half Marathon (August)
- Wharf to Wharf 10k (July)
- Monterey Bay Half Marathon (November)
- Represent Running Across the Bay 415k (July)
- San Francisco Marathon (July)
New Races We’re Trying
- Pasadena Half Marathon (January)
- Livermore Half Marathon (March)
- Revel Mount Hood Marathon and Half Marathon (June)
- Rock Tahoe Half Marathon (June)
- KP San Francisco Half Marathon (February)
- Represent Running 408k 8k (February)
- Represent Running St. Patrick’s Day 5k/10k (March)
- Represent Running Silicon Valley Half Marathon (April)
- Oakland Marathon (March)
- Represent Running East Bay 510k (October)
- Hot Chocolate 15k (January)
- Rock n Roll San Francisco Half Marathon (April)
- Brazen Racing Coyote Hills Trail 10k (January)
- Sasquatch Racing – Krampus Cross Country Trail 10k (December)
- The Christmas Relays (December)
- Ragnar Relay (TBD)
It is going to be another busy year for the Running Lushes! We have those above confirmed and will probably add more as future weekends open up so frequently check our race calendar for any you would like to run as well. As we’ve written in previous blog posts, we love to run races! There are obviously compromises and trade-offs required, but those we can’t fit in 2019 will be targeted for 2020! Speaking of…join us at the Walt Disney World Wine and Dine 2020 as we’ve already penciled that in for one of our bucket list races. Did we miss any of your favorites?
4 cups of Pear Juice
juice of 1 lemon
1c of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp each of clove, cinnamon
1-2 bottles of Champagne
Pour chilled Pear juice in a punch bowl and stir in the sugar, vanilla lemon and spices. Slowly add champagne. Serve in a no stem wine glass with sliced pear as garnish