Part of the fun of racing is getting out of your comfort zone and pushing yourself to go further. One great way to do this is to book a race in a different city. Not only do you get to experience some new sites, restaurants and local culture, it is a great way to bring back that race day excitement if you are in a rut doing the same local races year after year.
Destination races do require a little extra planning and we’ve created this little cheat sheet to help ensure you don’t forget any essentials — especially your lucky ‘Wicked Fast’ underpants.
- Race tank or shirt (Running Lushes team shirt, of course)
- Running tights, skort or shorts – weather appropriate
- Running socks (2 pair)
- Sweatshirt layer or toss shirt for cold mornings
- Running underwear – no one ever thinks about wicking undies!
- Sports bra (for women)
- Hydration belt or hydration pocket and water bottles
- Extra waistband pocket
- Chews (2)
- Nuun Active and/or Energy
- Running shoes
- Lip gloss & waterproof mascara to look cute at post-race pics!
- id, credit card and a little cash
- sport tape wrap and/or knee/ankle brace, if needed
- Confirmation sheet
- Sign up for Runner tracking
Pre Race Clothes
- Comfortable clothes that won’t set off metal detectors at airport
- Shoes that let your feet breathe, comfortable and easy to take off at airport
- Sweater/jacket (weather dependent)
- Consider a nicer shirt or pants if going to a pre-race dinner
Post race clothes
- Flip Flops or comfortable shoes
- Loose pants, shorts or skirt
- T shirt and/or Tank top
- Undergarments (if desired)
- Swimsuit – if you can’t get late checkout, use the pool for a quick dip.
- Essential Oils (lavender, deep blue, breathe)
- Pain Reliever – Icy Hot/T-Relief Pain Ointment
- Body Lotion
- Hair ties – 2 or 3
- Makeup – don’t forget the waterproof mascara
- Face cleanser/makeup remover/moisturizer
- Inhaler and any other prescription meds
- Yoga mat
- Travel size Foam Roller or rolling device like a tennis ball
- Charging cables
- Portable chargers
- Empty water bottle (platypus collapsible is great for flying)
- Id (passort or driver’s license), credit cards and cash for tipping
- snack size ziplock bags – snack size to keep id/cash dry or
- quart and gallon size ziplock bags – liquids
- plastic bag for wet clothes
- ear plugs
- plastic bowls, spoons, and forks – don’t use your toothbrush like we did
- Reading glasses/contact lenses, etc.
- bottle and/or wine opener – a Running Lush MUST have!
- Instant Oatmeal – yogurt and peanut butter are considered liquids
- Instant coffee and/or tea
- Pick some mini-moos or half/half at the airport as hotel coffee is terrible
- Bananas & walnuts
- Water (if not flying)
- Roadie (if you aren’t driving) and/or drink tickets if flying
Another tip: If you can, add another day after the race to leisurely pack and sightsee. If that is not possible, definitely get late checkout so you can return from the race and shower before leaving!